Atlantic Canada Equestrian Championships – Reining
Team PEI Qualifying Criteria – 2018
- There can be up to 2 teams selected to represent PEI:
- One team of four riders for a Two Handed Team. Teams of three can be accepted – The lowest of the 4 scores will be discarded during competition.
- One team of four riders for a One Handed Team. Teams of three can be accepted – The lowest of the 4 scores will be discarded during competition..
- Teams will be comprised of four members with preference of at least one junior member. Junior Athletes are 18 & under as of January of the current year. Senior Athletes are over 18 as of January of the current year.
- Should a team not be available one or two individuals can be selected to compete for individual honors.
- Members will ride one or two handed depending on qualifying level/team.
Declaring Intent to Compete
- Riders must submit a declaration form before the first qualifying competition or before June 26th, 2018*, whichever comes first. Declaration forms can be found on the IHC website. A non-refundable* declaration fee is due by July 21st, 2018.
- Riders may declare multiple horses but will only be eligible to ride one horse at the Championships.
- Riders must submit a separate form and pay a declaration fee for each horse.
- An rider may receive qualifying scores on multiple horses if Horse Declaration Form has been submitted for each horse.
- Stallions may be shown by Senior Athletes only.
- In the event of an injury or illness to a declared horse, riders may submit an alternate horse, which has achieved qualifying scores, at the discretion of the selection committee.
- All declaration forms must be submitted to the IHC office online or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A minimum of two scores will be considered. Scores will be averaged to determine selection. Athletes must have obtained two minimum scores of 60 at a Provincial (IRHA) or NRHA sanctioned competition.
- Athletes on Team 1 (Two Handed Team) must not have competed one handed at a NRHA competition.
- Athletes on Team 2 (One Handed Team) are not eligible if:
- they have competed at the Reining Championships for Junior or Young Athletes at the NAYC in the current year
- they are a senior member whose name appears on the NRHA ineligibility lists as a Limited Non‐Pro or Rookie Pro
- Qualifying classes must use NRHA patterns 1-13.
- Members may ride one or two handed depending on qualifying level.
- All qualifying scores must be submitted in advance of the Championships.
- Final date to submit scores for Reining is Monday, August 20, 2018
- All qualifying scores must be submitted to the IHC office online or by email at email@example.com
Team Selection Criteria
- The top athletes with the highest average from the top 2 submitted scores will be selected for the team.
- In the event of a tie, the two scores of the tied athletes will be compared. The athlete who achieved the single highest score will be named to Team PEI. In the event that there is still a tie, the athlete with the next highest score will be named to Team PEI. This process will continue until the tie is broken.
- Scores will be evaluated with an emphasis on qualifying scores, but also take into account overall horse/rider suitability and sportsmanship. For better evaluation, riders can submit results from all competitions, not just qualifying scores.
- The selection committee reserves the right to consider other factors leading up to the championship to aid in overall team selection. For example, horse soundness.
- Declared riders must be a member of the Island Horse Council.
- Declared riders must be a member of the Island Reining Horse Association.
* In order for the Championships to occur, there must be team representation from 3 of the 4 provinces at the respective discipline competition based on the expression of interest. i.e. There must be expressed interest from a team from NS, NB, and PEI for Reiners in order for the Reining Championships to occur.
The Atlantic organizing committee will decide June 27th which Championships will be held. If the Championships are canceled competitors will be notified and any declaration fees will be refunded.