English Equestrian Canada Learn to Ride Program
The Equestrian Canada (EC) Learn to Ride Programs are aimed at individuals who wish to become well-rounded horse people, who are able to care for and ride their horses in a correct and safe manner and wish to be recognized for doing so at a national level.
The English Learn to Ride program is divided into 10 successive levels, building on stable management and practical horse care skills, riding skills and abilities and equestrian knowledge that will help candidates enjoy horses and the sport in a safe and measurable way.
Knowledge, experience and skills are developed through lessons and clinics, with additional materials and information being found in EC Learn to Ride manuals and the Stable Management in Canada handbook. This program is designed to be administered by EC certified English instructors/coaches. These instructors/coaches have pursued certification through an accredited national program, and have been provided with additional training, manuals and guidelines on preparing and administering the Learn to Ride program.
Each Learn to Ride level is made up of a theoretical written test, a practical stable management component and a riding component. Jumping phases can be omitted at any level. For each successful level, candidates will receive a nationally recognized certificate and badge.
Join us today! This program is for everyone, whether your goal is to be a recreational, leisure or competitive rider! Work at your own pace and take all the time you need to build your skills and have fun with your equine partner!
How to take part in the Learn to Ride Program
- Purchase your IHC Membership
- Highly recommended to purchase the Learn to Ride English Manuals (available in levels 1-2, 3-5, and 6-8 manuals) and Stable Management in Canada handbook. Available to order via the IHC office or by emailing email@example.com
- Contact a current and certified English coach or instructor to begin preparation for your tests. Contact the IHC English Coaching Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for the most up to date coaching information.
- When your instructor/coach feels you are ready, they can select and apply for a test date by filling out a Rider Level Host Application Form, as well as Candidate Application Form for each rider, and submitting it to the IHC office or English Coaching Coordinator. For the most up to date list of Evaluators in your area, please contact the English Coaching Coordinator.
- Applications and fees must be submitted to IHC a minimum of two weeks before your proposed testing date. Once approved, evaluators will be contacted and you may proceed to testing.
- Learn to Ride fees are $10 per level
- If challenging more than one level at a time, it is a $20 fee
- Testing day! Completed testing and marking sheets are submitted to IHC by the Evaluator.
- Your successful Learn to Ride certificate and badge will be mailed or delivered to you.
- You can continue to work towards your next Learn to Ride level!
Please note: Learn to Ride Levels are self paced and led by the rider and instructor/coach and do not require registration prior to beginning. It is up to the rider and instructor/coach to set up testing dates and locations and book evaluators. IHC does not regulate evaluator fees that are charged for their time, but it is recommended that they do not exceed the cost of a usual lesson fee of the same duration.
If you are a Canadian Pony Club member and have successfully completed your PC Levels, you may be eligible for an equivalent Learn to Ride Level. Please contact the IHC English Coaching Coordinator for more information.
- Pony Club C2 = Learn to Ride Level 6
- Pony Club A or B = Learn to Ride Level 8